Re: st: vwls

Subject   Re: st: vwls
Date   Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:03:46 -0400

Ali and Nicola--
Note that -vwls- and the -robust- option address different issues--the
first tries to improve efficiency of point estimates using some
untenable assumptions and the second tries to improve standard errors.
Also note I replied to the original post on Sep 21 to the effect:
"
[R] vwls gives
Grizzle J E, Starmer C F & Koch G G. 1969. "Analysis of categorical
data by linear models." Biometrics 25:489-504.
as the reference.

I believe this model is a special case of meta-analytic regression (FE
metareg) and also a special case of GMM (with a potentially suboptimal
weighting matrix).  I would recommend you read the GMM exposition in
BSS2007:
http://econpapers.repec.org/paper/bocbocoec/667.htm
and use -ivreg2- instead.
"
I will add that -vwls- assumes the relevant variances are known, not
estimated--the help file says "vwls treats the estimated variance as
if it were the true variance when it computes standard errors of the
coefficients." Therefore the approach outlined of calculating the SD
of the outcome variable (not the residuals, hence not like the
-robust- option) and then using the calculated SD to construct what
amount to analytic weights for use with -vwls- does not take account
of the variance due to the preliminaries of calculating the SDs of
outcome variable Y (birthwt) at different levels of X (gest age), and
need not have any of the desirable properties of OLS.  -vwls- is
essentially calculating SDs of the outcome variable, and including a
transformation of these as analytic weights in a -regress- command,
which seems less than optimal--it will also drop observations if
categories are insufficiently large to produce estimates of the SD, or
if the estimated SD is zero (in which case that value of X would have
infinite weight in the regression), so you may lose sample size.

As an example of the strangeness of this model, if Y varied not at all
for X=27 and X=28 in your data but had variance=10 for X=29 and X=30,
-vwls- would drop all the obs with X=27 and X=28 and estimate only
using obs with X=29 and X=30. If the variance of Y at X=27 and X=28
were instead 1e-15, i.e. very close to zero but nonzero, then -vwls-
would essentially drop obs all the obs with X=29 and X=30 and estimate
only off obs with X=27 and X=28, i.e. use an entirely different
subsample.

It's not clear to me why the variable SD of Y is a problem--unless you
know measurement error varies with X, in which case you should be
using a different model in any case--it is the variable mean of the
error term that is a problem for inference. You would be much better
off using the -robust- option or perhaps -cluster(gest_age)- or, if
you can think of some excluded instruments, -ivreg2- with the -gmm-
option.

Compare:

sysuse auto, clear
bys rep: egen s=sd(mpg)
gen w=s^(-2)
xi: reg mpg i.rep [aw=w]
xi: vwls mpg i.rep
xi: reg mpg i.rep, r

(there are not enough categories in rep78 to use the -cluster- option
with any confidence) or:

bys wei: egen sd=sd(mpg)
gen wt=sd^(-2)
reg mpg wei [aw=wt], nohe