st: levelsof

From   "Luhang Wang" <>
Subject   st: levelsof
Date   Thu, 20 Sep 2007 23:17:20 -0400

Dear all,

I'm trying to take some strings out of a string variable. Suppose data
set Y contains the list of strings, named variable YY, that I want to
take out from a string variable XX in data set X. An example is that
YY takes value "a" and "b", and XX takes "ac" and "bd", the results I
want are "c" and "d".

My code is as following:

use Y,clear
levelsof YY

use X,clear
foreach l of local levels {
           replace XX=subinstr(XX,"`l'","",.)

It doesn't work. Could someone tell me what is wrong with my code? Or
is there better method achieving this? Many thanks in advance.