Re: st: levelsof

From   Keith Dear <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: levelsof
Date   Fri, 21 Sep 2007 14:39:00 +1000

Luhang,
Read -help levelsof-. You need to name, as an option, the local macro where you want the list to be stored, thus:
levelsof YY, loc(levels)
where "levels" is your choice of name for a local macro.

Alternatively, you can access the result of -levelsof- as r(levels), like this:
use Y, clear
levelsof YY
use X, clear
foreach l in `=r(levels)' {
replace XX=subinstr(XX,"`l'","",.)
}
Note that foreach needs "in" not "of" in this usage, because there is no keyword (such as "local"), simply a list of terms. In your example, `=r(levels)' evaluates to the list `"a"' `"b"'.
kd