RE: st: Stata10 SE and do files editor

From   "Nuno" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: Stata10 SE and do files editor
Date   Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:10:53 +0100

That's normally what I do. However, I don't need to restart the computer in
order to be able to address more than 500mb. I just need  to restart Stata.
This makes me think that this can be a problem with Stata, not the operating
system. I was able to reproduce the problem: I was appending 300 files into
one. My default memory size for Stata (250mb) wasn't enough, so Stata
returned the message that it didn't have enough memory. So I cleared Stata
and tried to increase the memory allocated to Stata and I the error message
that the op sys wouldn't allow it. I restarted Stata and everything was
fine: I could alocate 900mb with no problem.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Richard Williams
Sent: quinta-feira, 26 de Julho de 2007 18:09
Subject: Re: st: Stata10 SE and do files editor

At 08:46 AM 7/26/2007, Nuno wrote:
>solve this problem. However, Stata10 exhibited a strange behavior: in a
>fresh start I could change the limit with no problem (limit 960m);
>however, after using stata for a while, and cleaned the memory from its
>contents when I tried to increase the memory from 250m to 700m the
>error message that the operating system refused to grant access to the
>memory was returned. I decreased the amount up to 500m when I stopped
>receiving the message. Only after restarting Stata (not the computer) I
>was able to access again the 960m. Did anyone else experienced this

I've found that the solution to 90% of all computer problems is to reboot
the machine.  My guess is memory gets fragmented as you use different
routines, limiting the size of the blocks Stata can allocate.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  Richard.A.Williams.5@ND.Edu