Re: st: Stata10 SE and do files editor

From   Hua Peng <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Stata10 SE and do files editor
Date   Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:32:14 -0500

Nuno ([email protected]) asked some questions about Stata 10 for Windows:

- I can't change the focus using the tab key when doing Find or Replace in
the text of the file. Does this happens with anyone else?
This has been reported and will be fixed in a future update. There was an update today which did not include this fix; it will be in the next executable update.

- In the Stata9 editor we had an recently opened option where the most
recent files (10 or something like that) opened could be accessed. In the
Stata10 editor this feature disappeared and it seems that only the files
that were opened in the current session are available, i.e., if we restart
Stata the editor history seems to be lost? Is there an option I'm missing?
Nuno is correct; we will go back to the previous behavior in the next executable update.

- This happened to me twice: when trying to change the memory limit Stata
has returned the message that the op system didn't allow for more memory to
be allocated. I know that there are some limits in the amount of memory
available to stata under WinXP and I've applied the microsoft hotfix to
solve this problem. However, Stata10 exhibited a strange behavior: in a
fresh start I could change the limit with no problem (limit 960m); however,
after using stata for a while, and cleaned the memory from its contents when
I tried to increase the memory from 250m to 700m the error message that the
operating system refused to grant access to the memory was returned. I
decreased the amount up to 500m when I stopped receiving the message. Only
after restarting Stata (not the computer) I was able to access again the
960m. Did anyone else experienced this behavior?

We have been unable to reproduce this here. Nuno should try to reproduce the behavior and email Stata Technical Services at [email protected] who can work with him to diagnose the problem. Note that -set memory- in Stata only affects the amount of memory available to data. Other things in Stata such as various open windows, graphs, Mata matrices, etc. can affect the amount of memory available to -set memory-.

Also, -set memory- requires a contiguous block of memory. If something else has been placed in the middle of memory, fragmenting it, before a user attempts to perform a large memory allocation with -set memory-, that memory allocation may fail. The best time to attempt a large -set memory- allocation when memory is tight on a computer is after a fresh start of Stata.

Hua Peng, Ph.D.
Senior Software Engineer VOICE: 1-979-696-4600
StataCorp LP TOLL : 1-800-782-8272
4905 Lakeway Drive FAX : 1-979-696-4601
College Station, TX 77845 EMAIL: [email protected]

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/