Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: xtlogit - odds ratios for continuous predictors

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: xtlogit - odds ratios for continuous predictors
Date   Wed, 9 May 2007 21:05:31 +0100 (BST)

--- Søren Mayland <> wrote:
> I'm using xtlogit to model a two level (country-individual) model.
> One of my predictores at country level are a level of ethnic
> fragmentation  which ranges between 0,2 and about 0,8.
> Basicly what I need is the best way to report my results.
> So far Im settling for odds ratio, but this makes the results of the
> above predictor to complex to report.
> The only solution I have found this far is standardizing the
> variable. (how do I find the standard deviation for my predictor in
> xtlogit Stata?)

The easiest way here is to make the variable range from 0 to 1. That
way odds ratio informs you about the difference between countries with
the highest and lowest amount of ethnic fragmentation. Assume the
variable is called frag, than you would type:

gen frag2 = (frag - .2) / .6

Than when you estimate your model you use frag2 instead of frag.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081