Statalist The Stata Listserver

st: ifcmd question

From   "Robert Duval" <>
Subject   st: ifcmd question
Date   Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:01:25 -0500

Dear all,

I am trying to pass a command to a whole dataset if a variable takes
certain values... For instance I would like Stata to save a file
hola.dat if variable x takes values >1...

I tried

if x>1 {
save hola.dat

but at execution Stata doesn't do anything.

Please note I don't want to filter obs. I just want the program to
save the current file under a given name if one of its variables takes
certain values.

The problem is that ifcmd evaluates an exp and the command save
applies to the whole dataset and not to a subset of obs.

Any suggestion how to get at my goal?
Thanks again in advance,