From   "Michael Blasnik" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: Re: ifcmd question
Date   Sun, 12 Nov 2006 17:11:57 -0500

..Not completely clear what you want, but if x>1 evaluates the first observation of x and compares that to 1, it doesn't look for any x > 1. Here's something that might do what you want:

sum x, meanonly
if r(max)>1 save hola.dat

Michael Blasnik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Duval" <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, November 12, 2006 5:01 PM
Subject: st: ifcmd question

Dear all,

I am trying to pass a command to a whole dataset if a variable takes
certain values... For instance I would like Stata to save a file
hola.dat if variable x takes values >1...

I tried

if x>1 {
save hola.dat

but at execution Stata doesn't do anything.

Please note I don't want to filter obs. I just want the program to
save the current file under a given name if one of its variables takes
certain values.

The problem is that ifcmd evaluates an exp and the command save
applies to the whole dataset and not to a subset of obs.

Any suggestion how to get at my goal?
Thanks again in advance,