Re: st: Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) and applications

From   "Robert Duval" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Generalized Method of Moments (GMM) and applications
Date   Sun, 12 Nov 2006 15:36:34 -0500

Stata does not have a GMM general routine. This has been discussed
before on Statalist.

If you have a non-linear problem, I think you can use the ML
optimization routines to solve for the parameters.

However, you'll have to calculate your varcov matrix by hand, and if
you really care about the accuracy of your s.e.'s then you'll better
use computationally sound numerical matrix operations (e.g.
decompositions, etc.) together with Mata.
My own experience with the simple matrix operators provided in Stata
is that they are not very accurate (e.g. try solving an OLS problem
"by hand" with mat accum, inv, etc. and then compare it with the
actual results from reg).

robert