Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: the meaning of 'foo'

From   Nick Winter <>
Subject   Re: st: the meaning of 'foo'
Date   Thu, 24 Aug 2006 13:11:32 -0400

I'll note as well that it is often used with its companion, "bar." My guess is they derived at some point from the acronym FUBAR.

--Nick Winter

At 12:57 PM 8/24/2006, Michael S. Hanson wrote:

On Aug 24, 2006, at 12:46 PM, b. water wrote:

without wanting to sound irreverent, i wonder whether someone could
tell me the meaning or full expression of the abbreviation 'foo' so
often used to illustrate Stata advice/help. i have always wanted to
know this but now, my curiosity got the better of me. i simply have
to ask.
Google is your friend (tm):

apologies if it has nothing to do with either statistics or Stata.
        It doesn't.  ;)

                                        -- Mike

*   For searches and help try:
Nicholas Winter 434.924.6994 t