st: RE: the meaning of 'foo'

From   "Scott Merryman" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: the meaning of 'foo'
Date   Thu, 24 Aug 2006 11:52:37 -0500

Wikipedia defines it as the metasyntactic variable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metasyntactic_variable

"A metasyntactic variable is either a placeholder name (a kind of alias
term, commonly used to denote the subject matter under discussion), or a
random member of a class of things under discussion. The term originates
from computer programming and other technical contexts, and is commonly used
in examples by hackers and programmers. The use of a metasyntactic variable
is helpful in freeing a programmer from creating a logically named variable,
although the invented term may also become sufficiently popular and enter
the language as a neologism. The word foo is the canonical example (it is
known as the canonical metasyntactical variable).

The phenomenon is similar to the use in algebra of x, y and z for unknown
variables, and a, b and c for unknown constants. "Widgets" are also used in
business to indicate an as-yet-unspecified product and are frequently sold
by the Acme company."

Scott