From   "Savas, Lara S" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: FW: how to caculate proportional mortality ratios
Date   Sat, 20 May 2006 14:27:32 -0500

Thank you for Svend the response (below) to my adjusted proportional mortality ratio question.
 I re-read this Rothman & Greenland section you suggested, and agreed with you that treating the PMR as a case control study may be the way to go.  I used the cci command to and obtained the crude PMR, but I still haven't figured  out how to calculate an age adjusted proportional mortality ratio in Stata.
Thanks again,

From: on behalf of Svend Juul
Sent: Fri 5/19/2006 4:34 AM
Subject: Re: st: FW: how to caculate proportional mortality ratios

Lara wrote:

Sorry for a mundane question.  I need to calculate age-standardized
proportional mortality ratios (PMRs).  I have a poisson dataset and I'm
calculating SMRs using both poisson & negative binomial regression
commands. I also want to calculate PMRs to check my SMRs.  I need age
adjusted PMRs.  I can not find anything in the Stata manuals or online
that offers Stata code for PMRs.  I want to caluclate many PMRs and
Proportional cancer mortality ratios across many different cancer sites,
to do this  in Excel would take a long time to hand enter my data.

Is this possible to do in Stata?

I'm not sure. But Rothman and Greenland (Modern Epidemiology, p 76)
recommend to think of PMR studies as case-control studies. Would it be
reasonable, then, to do a stratified analysis with -cc- or a logistic

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000  Aarhus C, Denmark
Phone: +45 8942 6090