Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: FW: how to caculate proportional mortality ratios

From   "Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: FW: how to caculate proportional mortality ratios
Date   Fri, 19 May 2006 11:34:03 +0200

Lara wrote:

Sorry for a mundane question.  I need to calculate age-standardized
proportional mortality ratios (PMRs).  I have a poisson dataset and I'm
calculating SMRs using both poisson & negative binomial regression
commands. I also want to calculate PMRs to check my SMRs.  I need age
adjusted PMRs.  I can not find anything in the Stata manuals or online
that offers Stata code for PMRs.  I want to caluclate many PMRs and
Proportional cancer mortality ratios across many different cancer sites,
to do this  in Excel would take a long time to hand enter my data.

Is this possible to do in Stata?

I'm not sure. But Rothman and Greenland (Modern Epidemiology, p 76)
recommend to think of PMR studies as case-control studies. Would it be
reasonable, then, to do a stratified analysis with -cc- or a logistic

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6
DK-8000  Aarhus C, Denmark
Phone: +45 8942 6090