From   "Rijo John" <>
To   stata <>
Subject   st: renvars
Date   Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:34:15 +0530

Hi all,

I use to run this command  --renvars bihar gujarat haryana karnataka
kerala  / st1-st5-- to rename the 5 states into st1 to st5
respectively and it use to run without any problem. I use stata 8.2.
However, recently I had to reinstall Stata in my machine and had to
install the renvars ado files again (from Now when I execute the same
command it tells me

. renvars bihar gujarat haryana karnataka kerala  / st1-st5
/ invalid name

Hence I had to take an alternative root to get my work done as follows.

local i=1
foreach var of varlist bihar gujarat haryana karnataka kerala {
ren `var' st`i'
local i=`i'+1

Can anyone tell me why -renvars- is not doing now what it use to do before?