Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Proportion tests for non-binary variables

From   "Neil Shephard" <>
Subject   Re: st: Proportion tests for non-binary variables
Date   Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:56:41 +0800

On 4/11/06, Herve STOLOWY <> wrote:
> I would like to test the equality of proportions of two variables which are not binary. Each variable can have four values (0, 1, 2 and 3). (To be more precise, the original variable is the same but are applied to two different populations, the total sample and a restricted sample. I created two different variables. With -tabulate-, I get easily the frequencies of both variables).
> I can't use -prtest- and -ztest- because these two commands require, to my knowledge, binary variables.
> My comparison should work on unpaired data.
> I searched in Stata on "proportions" but did not find any command for that purpose. I missed maybe something. Would you have an idea?

How about a trend-test to detect differences between the two groups
(sample and restricted).  In Stata this is implemented as the command

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about
something." - Thomas H. Huxley

Email - /
Website -
Blog -