Statalist The Stata Listserver

Re: st: Proportion tests for non-binary variables

From   "Herve STOLOWY" <>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Proportion tests for non-binary variables
Date   Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:30:39 +0200

Dear Neil:

Thank you for your reply. I looked at -nptrend- and am not sure that this command will solve my problem. It seems that I don't have a groupvar but two variables. By similarity with -prtest- or -ztest-, the command I am looking for could be written this way:

command var1 = var2, unpaired.

But I might be wrong in the way I try to solve my problem.

Best regards

Coordinateur du Département/Head of Department
HEC Paris
Département Comptabilité Contrôle de gestion / Dept of Accounting and Management Control
1, rue de la Liberation
78351 - Jouy-en-Josas
Tel: +33 1 39 67 94 42 - Fax: +33 1 39 67 70 86
>>> 04/11/06 7:56 AM >>>
On 4/11/06, Herve STOLOWY <> wrote:
> I would like to test the equality of proportions of two variables which are not binary. Each variable can have four values (0, 1, 2 and 3). (To be more precise, the original variable is the same but are applied to two different populations, the total sample and a restricted sample. I created two different variables. With -tabulate-, I get easily the frequencies of both variables).
> I can't use -prtest- and -ztest- because these two commands require, to my knowledge, binary variables.
> My comparison should work on unpaired data.
> I searched in Stata on "proportions" but did not find any command for that purpose. I missed maybe something. Would you have an idea?

How about a trend-test to detect differences between the two groups
(sample and restricted).  In Stata this is implemented as the command

"Try to learn something about everything and everything about
something." - Thomas H. Huxley

Email - /
Website -
Blog -