Re: st: A Word to Future Authors

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: A Word to Future Authors
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:39:36 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Raphael Fraser <[email protected]>
Date: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 8:02 am
Subject: st: A Word to Future Authors

> Dear Authors of Stata Books,
>
> I have a complaint about introductory Stata books. Recently, I have
> been searching for  "intro to Stata" books to teach masters level
> students how to use Stata. Of the two intro books at Stata's book
> store none had EXERCISES to reinforce concepts. Why should I buy a
> book and create my own exercises? I feel cheated.

Rather than feeling cheated you could view this as an opportunity to
write "1001 Exercises in Stata"

> While these books
> meet the objective of 'illustrating' how to use some commands they
> fail to reinforce concepts. Have anyone ever seen a statistics text
> book without problems at the end of each chapter?

Most of the statistics books I have on hand do exercises, though not
all (e.g. "Market Models, A Guide to Financial Data Analysis"
and "Modelling Extremal Events for Insurance and Finance") but the
software/stat books to not.  In addition to the Stata books, "SAS
System for Mixed Models," "Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro
Language," and "Longitudinal Data and SAS" do not have exercises in
them.

Scott