Re: st: A Word to Future Authors

Subject   Re: st: A Word to Future Authors
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2005 12:21:37 -0500

At 11:39 AM 8/10/2005 -0500, [email protected] wrote:
Most of the statistics books I have on hand do exercises, though not
all (e.g. "Market Models, A Guide to Financial Data Analysis"
and "Modelling Extremal Events for Insurance and Finance") but the
software/stat books to not.  In addition to the Stata books, "SAS
System for Mixed Models," "Carpenter's Complete Guide to the SAS Macro
Language," and "Longitudinal Data and SAS" do not have exercises in
them.
Just based on the freebie books I get, I would guess that SPSS dominates undergraduate social science statistics courses (and many of those books do include exercises). I can't even remember getting an undergrad-oriented book that used SAS. Maybe that just reflects the mailing lists I am on. SPSS is a powerful program, but I do think some of its targets are the "dummy" audience and people who like glitzy looking output.

I'd be curious to know just who does use Stata, and how it compares to other packages. This user list is pretty diverse, although it does seem like there are a lot of bio-stat people here.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
FAX: (574)288-4373
HOME: (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]