Re: st: A Word to Future Authors

From   Raphael Fraser <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: A Word to Future Authors
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2005 11:33:49 -0500

This is exactly what I do. I convert my SAS problems into Stata
problems. So you might ask so why the complaint? Well, there are a lot
of good SAS intro books out there. One of the best is "Applied
Statistics and the SAS Programming Language." Why can't we have an
equivalent?

What Nick said about using our own data is true to a certain extent.
The data used does not necessarily have to be an issue. And is not a
major one. Students will still learn regardless of the data.

On 8/10/05, Richard Williams <[email protected]> wrote:
> At 10:40 AM 8/10/2005 -0500, Sergio Correia wrote:
> >One question Raphael,
> >
> >What course is that, and what is the master about? I'm preparing a
> >course where we teach some Stata, intended for advanced undergrad
> >students with major in economics. So I'm wondering if it would be more
> >efficient to start a wikibook, or something in that sense, where
> >everyone could share its own exercises.
> >
> >Sergio Correia
>
> Also, there are zillions of worked examples out there although you might
> have to dig around a little; see "Resources for learning Stata" at
>
> http://www.stata.com/links/resources1.html
>
> Plus, it is often a pretty straightforward matter to take an example
> developed using one program and convert it into a Stata problem.  In fact,
> I initially took an example from Hamilton and converted it into SPSS; and
> when I realized that it was really much easier just to do it in Stata I
> decided to start teaching Stata in my courses.

> OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
> FAX:    (574)288-4373
> HOME:   (574)289-5227
> EMAIL:  [email protected]
> WWW (personal):    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam
> WWW (department):    http://www.nd.edu/~soc

=============================
Raphael A. Fraser, MSc
Assistant Lecturer in Medical Statistics
Sickle Cell Unit
Tropical Medicine Research Institute
Faculty of Medical Sciences
University of the West Indies