st: RE: percent format

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: percent format
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:36:12 +0100

I have suggested this as a possibility privately
to StataCorp, although I have two moods about it.

In either a graph or a table, I find repeated
percent symbols to be a constant element that
should be factored out, as it were, and used
just once, for example in a row or column heading or
in an axis title.

However, it is arguable whether StataCorp
should play arbiter of elegance (for which
the historical precedents are not attractive)
whenever enough users really want something
(although vibratory patterns in graphs are
banned until the end of time).

However, I don't know exactly what Jeph means here by
conversion to string. You can use labels on
the fly, as in

... , yla(0 "0%" 10 "10%") ...

the only problem being the tedium of typing.

I'll add -prefix()- and -postfix()- options to
my -mylabels- if I sense enough interest.

Jeph Herrin