st: RE: percent format

From   "Frank de Libero" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: percent format
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2005 10:34:19 -0700

I recently made a similar suggestion to Stata Corp, which has been
passed on to the developers. Until a percent format or something similar
is implemented, I include a line in my -graph bar- such as

text(x y "%", color(black) size(small), where x and y are coordinates
found by trial and error.

-----Original Message-----
[] On Behalf Of Jeph Herrin
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2005 10:05 AM
To: statalist
Subject: st: percent format

I often work with percentages, and find it somewhat annoying that
I have to convert numbers to strings to get them to show up with
a %-sign. This is particularly a nusiance with graphs, where a histogram
that might naturally use %s on the y-axis cannot be persuaded
to do so without generating the frequencies first, relabeling them
as strings with %s, and then making a two-plot. Is there a trick that
I don't know about? Is there a reason that Stata avoids, eg, -format
Seems like it would be a trivial modification at some level.

BTW, I use Stata 9, in case it matters.