RE: st: marginal effects for ordered logit

From   "Markiewicz, Agnieska" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: marginal effects for ordered logit
Date   Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:17:00 +0100

Dear Marteen,

Thank you for your help. However, I still have some problems with
running this program. First of all I get the message that _b is an
invalid name. There must be a typo in my procedure.
Second, I would like to ask how to calculate the log odds in stata for
an ordered logit.

Aga

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of maartenbuis
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2004 5:20 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: marginal effects for ordered logit

Dear Aga,

The marginal effect you want is just the slope of a tangent line of
these graphs at a specific value of your explanatory variable (often
the mean of the explanatory variable), so the marginal effect just
shows part of the information represented by the graph. Furthermore -
mfx - won't calculate the marginal effects you want if you include a
quadratic term, so you'd probably have to do that manually.

Alternatively you could use the fact that the ologit is linear in the
log(odds), i.e. the log(odds) of belonging to one group versus all
`lower' groups is a linear function of the explanatory variables. So
you could plot or tabulate the odds ratio for various values of your
explanatory variable.

Have a look at chapter 5 of `Regression models for categorical
dependent variables using Stata', by Scott Long and Jeremy Freese if
you want to know more than I can tell you through this list.

Maarten