Re: st: panel command if T = N

From   "Mark Schaffer" <>
Subject   Re: st: panel command if T = N
Date   Wed, 10 Nov 2004 17:03:33 -0000

Subject:        	st: panel command if T = N
Date sent:      	Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:28:26 +0100
Send reply to:

> Dear All,
> a good friend of mine would like to estimate a model with aggregate data (
> countries) with yearly observations. In this synthetic panel he has
> approximately as many Ts as Ns ( countries), about 20 Ts and 20 Ns.I guess
> he will do fixed or random effects.
> I would like to ask the wise Stata Listers which stata estimation procedure
> they can recommend him. Do the stata panal commands also work properly for
> such a case when N = T ?

It's not quite an answer to your question, but I would recommend
caution in using the random effects estimator.  RE requires the
between estimator to be consistent, and that in turn requires T to be
"big".  20 is a long way from infinity!

Hope this helps.

> Thanks a lot,
> Justina

Prof. Mark E. Schaffer
Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation
Department of Economics
School of Management & Languages
Heriot-Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS  UK
44-131-451-3494 direct
44-131-451-3008 fax
44-131-451-3485 CERT administrator