st: transferring data from SPPS to STATA

From   Alejandro Delafuente <>
Subject   st: transferring data from SPPS to STATA
Date   Wed, 10 Nov 2004 16:24:50 +0000 (GMT)

Dear Statalisters:
I am trying to transfer an SPPS file to STATA format. Most of the variables are
numerical, and a few string variables. The transfer process stops at around 66
thousand cases (out of a total of approx. 137 thousand cases) displaying the
following message: "Invalid floating point operation".  I am doing the transfer
with StatTransfer from SPSS format to STATA standard version 8.0
Is there anyway I can detect the variable(s) that are causing the problem?
I have already inspected the dataset several times, but cannot spot the culprit.
Many thanks,

Alejandro de la Fuente
QEH/Department of International Development
Oxford University