Re: st: Phase difference between different sine waves

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Phase difference between different sine waves
Date   Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:42:39 +0000

I imagine the simplest possible set-up unless you tell me otherwise.
Given an angle theta and a phase phi

sin(theta + phi) = sin theta cos phi + cos theta sin phi

so if you are regressing on variables -sine- and -cosine-, which are
functions of theta, then

cos phi is (estimated by) the coefficient of -sine- and sin phi is
(estimated by) the coefficient of -cosine-

and so after -regress- (or equivalent

phi = arctan(sin phi/cos phi) = arctan(_b[cosine]/_b[sine])

Stata, like almost any other software, will return an angle in
radians. You will presumably want to convert that back to some
fraction of a year.

As a phase (difference) corresponds to a horizontal shift, you can
represent that as a difference in time, but (depending very much on
your substantive field or intended readership) you may want to report
that in different terms. For example, the times of year at which
"subjects" (whatever that means) reach a maximum (or a minimum) in a
fitted yearly cycle may make scientific or practical sense.