st: RE: 'Fuzzy' text match

From   Joe Canner <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: 'Fuzzy' text match
Date   Sun, 23 Mar 2014 21:30:31 +0000

Robert,

Do all comparisons between the two data sets follow the same pattern, e.g., the name in one file is exactly contained within the name in the other file?  If so, you can use the -strpos()- function.  This will still be challenging to do as a -merge-, but if you come back with a positive answer to the above question, I (or someone else here) can suggest some code that might work in this situation.  It would probably involve using the shorter file as a look-up table for the longer file.

Regards,
Joe Canner
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
From: [email protected] [[email protected]] on behalf of Robert Davidson [[email protected]]
Sent: Sunday, March 23, 2014 5:15 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: 'Fuzzy' text match

Dear Statalist,

I am trying to do a text match across two files in Stata 13 in which
the names I want to match will not be the same in the two files.  I
have looked into options here and tried a few, including strgroup, but
these do not work for the following reason: in one file I have company
name e.g. Ford Motor Company, and in the other file I have facility
name e.g. Warren Engine Plant Ford Motor Company.  strgroup does not
consider these two strings as even remotely close (Levenshtein
distance is 22 here) and treats words that have nothing in common as
being much closer.  Is there a way to measure how much of one string
appears in another so that cases like the above example might be
considered reasonably close?  To use strgroup with a threshold that
would include a match like above, I will wind up with about 98% false
matches.  Also, my two datasets are about 1,000 observations and
1,000,000 observations so doing something manually is quite
cumbersome.

Thank you,
Robert Davidson