st: Fitting a model when the outcome is a proportion - glm versus logistic command

From   anny fenton <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Fitting a model when the outcome is a proportion - glm versus logistic command
Date   Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:05:17 -0400

Dear All,

When fitting an outcome that is a proportion, I know the typical
approach is to follow Papke and Wooldridge (1996) and use glm with
family(binomial), link(logic). However, I don't understand why one
would use glm instead of the logistic command why the two commands
would produce different fit statistics and coefficients (as they have
with my own results).

Thank you for any insight in advance,

Anny

Reference

Papke, L. E. and J. Wooldridge. Econometric methods for fractional
response variables with an application to 401(k) plan participation
rates. Journal of Applied Econometrics 11: 619-632.