st: Convert Odds Ratios to Risk Ratios after clogit?

From   Marcel Raab <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Convert Odds Ratios to Risk Ratios after clogit?
Date   Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:48:58 +0100

Dear Statalisters,

although I am aware of the criticism that has been raised against converting Odds Ratios to Risk Ratios I was wondering if the formula proposed by Zhang and Yu (1998) can also be used in the context of a fixed effects model. As the -oddsrisk- module does not work for this purpose I was trying to apply the formula manually

RR = OR / ((1 - pu) + (pu * OR))
(pu = incidence rate of the unexposed group)

Here is my example:

. webuse union, clear
. clogit union age grade not_smsa, group(idcode) or
. sum union if not_smsa == 0 & e(sample) // mean is pu(?)
. display exp(_b[not_smsa]) / ((1 - r(mean)) + (exp(_b[not_smsa]) * r(mean)))

In the example the OR = .9673623 and the RR = .97958943.

I read about the conversion of ORs to RRs only recently and I am definitely not an expert in the field of non linear models. Hence, I would be very glad if anyone could help me with this issue. Is it appropriate to convert ORs in RRs in a clogit context like suggested above? Is there an alternative/superior method to do it? And finally, if it is possible what would be the best way to obtain confidence intervals for the RRs?

Thanks for your consideration,
Marcel

--
Reference:
J. Zhang and K. Yu, 1998. What's the Relative Risk, JAMA, Vol 280, No 19, pp 1690-1691.