st: Issues with missing values

From   Halua Koko <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Issues with missing values
Date   Mon, 10 Mar 2014 15:31:30 +0100

Hello,
I've been working with a panel dataset and while putting it together
have replaced a number of missing values in variable cal_in with the
mean for each of the years. But when trying to create quintiles of the
baseline values to assess heterogeneity of impact (using xtile
Q=cal_in, nq(5)), I noticed that doing so had clumped together about
1000obs around one value, ie, the mean. So in essence my xtile groups
are distributed unevenly and the 4th quantile seems to be entirely
missing. FYI my panel is in the wide format.
Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem? I was thinking of
redistributing the clumped values by small increments so as to have
the same mean, but differing values, but not sure how to do this.
Can anyone help me figure this out?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Halua