Re: st: drop observations - if statement

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: drop observations - if statement
Date   Thu, 6 Mar 2014 11:52:56 +0000

Note also that in general Stata is highly literal when dealing with
strings. Indeed it could hardly be anything else.

So, when you see instances of "." that you want to -drop- but you ask
that Stata -drop- instances of "", your command cannot have the
desired effect.

The user-written command -dropmiss- (Stata Journal) has an option
-piasm-, comprehensible as "period is also string missing" for the
convenience of users who wish to regard "." as missing. The existence
of this option is evidence for the general rule, not against it!