Re: st: error message Stata13 - file corrupt

Subject   Re: st: error message Stata13 - file corrupt
Date   Tue, 4 Mar 2014 15:39:06 -0500

Hello,

This looks like any of the following:
-- a file transfer error, ==>retry from the source;
-- unsafe device disconnect, ==>dismount device properly next time,
data is lost;
-- power failure that prevented Stata from completing the file write
operation, ==>data is lost;
-- unknown bug that nobody has seen so far==> very interested.

In any case the error (in Stata 13) signifies that the file appears to
be a valid Stata-13 dataset, but at some point it is corrupt (you get
a different error if the file is not from Stata-13).

The big question is: has Stata 13 produced the file (which version)?
or some sort of alternative tool? If alternative, contact the author,
but tell us what the tool is. If Stata, try to replicate, tell us
which version. Stata 13 had a bug in writing dta files in
specification 117 (read the -use13- description for details). That bug
was not fatal, which didn't result in loss of data, but prevented
reading it in some cases. More info on request. Actually you can try
-use13- on your data to see what error message you get (it is unlikely
to read anything, but the message could be more informative).

So tell us the history of the file (how it was produced) to get
specific help. If you believe the file is intact and produced to the
specification, contact StataCorp for support.

Hope this helps, Sergiy Radyakin