st: stripplot not stacking correctly

From   Cody Cook <[email protected]>
Subject   st: stripplot not stacking correctly
Date   Sun, 2 Mar 2014 17:11:44 -0600

Hi stata list,

I’m having problems with stripplot from SSC

I'm trying to create something like this for my dataset:
http://imgur.com/wt9yZTx

And this is what I'm getting:
http://imgur.com/4OIRmwT

I'm having trouble figure out what I'm doing wrong. Here's the relevant code that I'm using:
stripplot state_avg, stack over(state) height(.5) ms(Sh) msize(*3.5) width(.01) mlabel(state) mlabpos(0) ysc(off) plotregion(lstyle(none))

Some things about my dataset
-- It's got about 10,000 obs of tax rates for different counties in different states, disaggregated further by time (%tm)
-- state_avg is the average across state counties and all years/months of observations. 1 number per state.
-- state is just the state abbreviation. It's repeated a lot, since it goes state -- county -- date -- etc etc

Any thoughts?

I think I could fix this if, instead of state_avg (which has a ton of repeats since it's broken up by county and date), I could create a varlist with only 50 observations that contain the abbrev and the state_avg for that state. I'm not sure how to do this. In general, I struggle to make any varlist that's shorter than the total number of obs in my dataset.

Best,

Cody Cook