re: Re: st: Propensity Score Matching Between 3 Groups

From   "Ariel Linden" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: Re: st: Propensity Score Matching Between 3 Groups
Date   Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:56:49 -0500

This is a good thought-provoking thread. Let me add in here a few thoughts:

First, in the case of multiple control groups, it makes the most sense to
treat them as separate treatment conditions. Thus, Fernando's second
proposed methodology is the most suitable. That is, estimate the multinomial
logit, with the probability of being in each of the three groups as the
propensity score. I'll take it a bit further now and suggest that rather
than matching, calculate the inverse-probability of treatment weights (IPTW)
for each individual, based on their actual treatment "assignment" and on
their estimated propensity score (taken from -mlogit-). Then you can use
these weights within the context of an outcome regression model (speaking to
Adam's last point).

Lucky for Stata users, in version 13.0 it appears that all the approaches in
-teffects- allow for multiple treatment groups. "The treatment model can be
binary, or it can be multinomial, allowing for  multivalued treatments."

While I have used the various regressions adjustment models with multiple
treatment arms and can attest to their "robustness", I have not played
around with the -teffects psmatch- for this exercise.

I hope this helps

Ariel