Re: st: Stata 13 - saveold

Subject   Re: st: Stata 13 - saveold
Date   Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:24:18 -0500

Erika,
SPSS lags behind in support of newer Stata formats. There are options
however. I've posted details earlier into the SPSS forum, here:
http://spssx-discussion.1045642.n5.nabble.com/Stata-to-SPSS-conversion-td5722443.html

In short, you can downgrade the dataset from format of Stata-12 (in
which Stata 13's saveold will save data) all the way to Stata-9
format, then bring it into SPSS. You do this with saveto9.exe (it is a
standalone converter, neither Stata nor SPSS is required for it to
work):
http://www.radyakin.org/transfer/saveto9/cs/index.htm

Alternatively, you can suggest your colleagues to export data from
Stata 13 to SPSS directly, this is done with a Stata command
-savespss-:
http://www.radyakin.org/transfer/savespss/savespss.htm
It's advantage is that it (experimentally) supports long strings.
A simple tutorial is here:
http://www.radyakin.org/transfer/savespss/example_auto.htm

Both pages contain detailed explanations on how to install and use
them,  as well as any limitations.

Let me know which solution worked best for you (if any).

Best, Sergiy Radyakin

PS: thanks Nick, I couldn't miss this one :)