Re: Re: Re: Re: st: Problems with FE and Hausman test

From   Christopher Baum <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: Re: Re: Re: st: Problems with FE and Hausman test
Date   Sun, 23 Feb 2014 13:46:21 +0000

On Feb 23, 2014, at 2:33 AM, John wrote:

> Well I got my disseration proposal with this approved and the alternative you are suggesting is that I abandon 1.5 years worth of work.

No, I don't think there's any problem with the measures you have, or your interest in using them to explain completion rates. You just need to supplement the measures of interest with other plausible state-level time-varying factors that have been shown, in the education literature, to have an influence on completion rates. That's not my field of research, but I'm sure there are plenty of studies that have worked on the relationship between educational inputs and outputs. Once you have incorporated the factors generally regarded as important in prior research, you can extend that investigation to include the administrative factors on which you would like to focus.

Having worked with several dozen PhD students since the late 1970s, I have rarely seen cases where a dissertation topic needs to be abandoned. More commonly, a flawed research design needs some reworking to yield plausible results.

Kit

Kit Baum
Professor of Economics and Social Work, Boston College, Chestnut Hill MA, USA
DIW Research Professor, Department of Macroeconomics, DIW Berlin, Berlin, Germany
[email protected]  |  http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html