Re: stacked bar charts [was: Re: st: RE: Features for Stata 14]

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: stacked bar charts [was: Re: st: RE: Features for Stata 14]
Date   Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:34:57 +0000

Thanks for highlighting this. The following points are offered as
elementary but fundamental on use of colour [color, if you prefer]:

1. For ordered sequences, rainbow or spectral sequences don't work
well, whatever the underlying physics. Consider whether red - orange -
yellow - green - blue - indigo - violet is a sequence of colours you
would choose if you didn't know about rainbows or electromagnetism.

2. Red and green together are problematic for so many people that
avoiding them  as a combination should be a matter of course.

3. Strong colours work best only when used in small quantities.

4. Be wary of a colour combination in your graphs that you (or your
partner, if possessed of more taste) would not allow in your home.

5. A sequence from (strong) blue to (strong) red often works well and
matches many cultural or other conventions about what is (e.g.) good,
bad, positive, or negative.

6. A sequence of various grays often works well too.