re: st: propensity score (diff group sizes: treatment >>> control)

From   "Ariel Linden" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: propensity score (diff group sizes: treatment >>> control)
Date   Wed, 19 Feb 2014 10:04:17 -0500

First off, it is expected on the Statalist that you state which program you
are using and where you got them from. In this case, I am assuming from the
command line that you provided that you are using -pscore- and -psmatch2-
(both are user written programs (findit pscore and findit psmatch2).

Second, you have only 40 controls to match against 500 treated. This
basically leaves you with two choices:

(1) match with replacement. The potential problem here is that you likely
use some (or all) these controls so many times that I'd question the
generalizability of the results (can one control really serve as a
counterfactual for 100 treated individuals. It seems not to be a very good
strategy). In any case, if you go this route you'll need to use a frequency
weight to account for the number of times that each control was used.

(2) a perhaps more reasonable approach would be to flip the matching so that
you're matching treated to controls. In other words, find the 40+ treated
units that are most comparable on observed characteristics to those 40
controls. This will change your treatment effects estimator to ATC (average
treatment effects on the controls).

In both cases above, I would suggest that you stick with a matching
algorithm as opposed to kernel density matching. It will be easier to
visually inspect the matches to see if it passes the "sniff test".

I hope this helps

Ariel