Bookmark and Share

Notice: On April 23, 2014, Statalist moved from an email list to a forum, based at statalist.org.


[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: st: RE: Features for Stata 14 (transformations in commamnd lines)


From   Richard Williams <richardwilliams.ndu@gmail.com>
To   "statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu" <statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu>
Subject   Re: st: RE: Features for Stata 14 (transformations in commamnd lines)
Date   Tue, 18 Feb 2014 16:56:42 -0500

Nick wrote that long before factor variables were introduced. I am sure it would still take some work but I suspect it will happen sooner or later. 

Sent from my iPad

> On Feb 18, 2014, at 4:41 PM, "Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)" <alan.h.feiveson@nasa.gov> wrote:
> 
> I found it. In 2006,I raised this issue because an avid R fan was complaining to me that Stata would not allow transformations in commands. 
> 
> http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-06/msg00081.html
> 
> Al F.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu [mailto:owner-statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
> Sent: Tuesday, February 18, 2014 2:10 PM
> To: statalist@hsphsun2.harvard.edu
> Subject: Re: st: RE: Features for Stata 14
> 
> You have me there. I don't recollect any such comments.
> 
> Perhaps search the archives using my name, but I can't imagine that I identified anything insoluble by those sufficiently smart.
> 
> Nick
> njcoxstata@gmail.com
> 
> On 18 February 2014 19:57, Feiveson, Alan H. (JSC-SK311)
> 
>> I know we had a long discussion of this issue a few years ago. Nick contributed some reasons why interactive transformations may not work - but I don't remember what his argument was. Nick - do you mind stating your argument again or pointing us to where it is in the archives?
> 
> Jacobs, David
> 
>> I second Richard's suggestions.  At least two statistical packages (EViews for example) let users construct variable modifications using useful  functions such as the log or the square root interactively in the command space.
>> 
>> In addition to being extremely convenient, this feature saves storage space because one doesn't have to keep such transformed variables in data files.
> 
> Richard Williams
> 
>> * More powerful commands for factor variables. For example, be able to specify the log of a variable and other functions of variables that may be useful.
> 
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/
> 
> *
> *   For searches and help try:
> *   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
> *   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/
> *   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/

*
*   For searches and help try:
*   http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?search
*   http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/resources/statalist-faq/
*   http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/


© Copyright 1996–2018 StataCorp LLC   |   Terms of use   |   Privacy   |   Contact us   |   Site index