st: Drawing from a known, non-regular, discrete distribution

From   Lulu Zeng <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Drawing from a known, non-regular, discrete distribution
Date   Mon, 17 Feb 2014 14:15:35 +1100

Dear Statalist,

I am seeking help with taking draws from a known, non-regular (not
normal or lognormal etc), discrete distribution.

For example, taking draws from a distribution like the one below.
However, in my case I have 1,200 points instead of the 4 points given
in the example.

Draw value     Probability

    0.5                0.15

    0.6                0.30

    0.2                0.25

    0.9                0.30

The "draw value" is the value to be drawn, "probability" is the chance
each value be drawn, so it adds up to 1.

I am trying to simulate the "willingness to pay" for the attributes I
estimated from an Random Utility Model (non-parametric fixed mass
point choice model). This requires me to take draws from the
distribution of the attribute and price (1,200 fixed points).

Thank you for your help in advance,

Best Regards,

Lulu