RE: st: Question about binary endogenous variable

From   "Santos Silva, J.M.C." <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Question about binary endogenous variable
Date   Sat, 15 Feb 2014 10:53:14 GMT

Dear Anna,

You may also want to consider a variant of the second method described in
the post Alfonso mentioned: First, estimate a binary choice model where your
binary endogenous variable is regressed on the instruments (including the
exogenous regressors), and save the predicted probabilities. Second, do a
standard 2SLS estimation with ivregress (or ivreg2) using as instruments for
your binary endogenous variable the instruments used in the binary choice
model as well as the fitted probabilities obtained from it.

This approach was used successfully in (see especially the first 2 lines on page
291):

Windmeijer, F.A.G. and Santos Silva, J.M.C. (1997), Estimation of Count Data
Models with Endogenous regressors; An Application to Demand for Health Care,
Journal of Applied Econometrics , 12(3), pp. 281-294.

All the best,

Joao