Re: st: Endogeneity in zero inflated Poisson model

Subject   Re: st: Endogeneity in zero inflated Poisson model
Date   Thu, 13 Feb 2014 08:07:40 -0500

Goedele Van den Broeck <[email protected]>:

You should use -ivpoisson- as you have no evidence of zero inflation.
Women have very different target lifetime fertility and period
fertility, and errors are in both directions, but with a zero lower
bound, many observations will pile up at zero, and many at one, even
when target fertility (by some age) is two, and a much smaller number
of cases with zero target fertility will be observed at one or two. No
doubt there are many women who have very low conditional mean
fertility, because they don't want children, are too young to have
much exposure to risk of pregnancy, are sexually abstinent, would
choose termination conditional on pregnancy, or what have you. Such
things should be captured by the predictors you include in your model.
But true zero inflation means true infertility, which is probably
under 5 percent, and adding that complication will improve your
estimates much less than getting the right predictors in the model.