Re: st: Using arguments in a global macro

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Using arguments in a global macro
Date   Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:35:23 +0000

You could use delayed evaluation as David suggests, but I find to hard
to think of any real advantages to that.

Note also that your program defines -var3- regardless of input. Its
input is mapped to local macro `var' but you don't ever use that
local.

The following is closer to what I take to be standard Stata style.

global x "var1 var2'"
program prog1
               args var
               gen `var' = 1
               reg depvar $x `var', noconstant
end
prog1 var3

The whole idea here is that you can wait until you know the name of
something before you use it. Otherwise put, you can't act until you
know that name, so being patient until you do is fine.

The discussion in Gabi Huiber's blog at
http://enoriver.net/index.php/2011/02/10/delayed-macro-substitution/
may be of interest.