st: Combining multiple numeric variables

From   Raquel Teixeira <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Combining multiple numeric variables
Date   Fri, 7 Feb 2014 19:01:27 -0500

Hi Everyone,

It's my first post.
Forgive me, I am a novice user and need some help combining numeric
variables into 1 variable.

Basically, it looks something like this

ID	var1	var2	var3	var4
1	2	3	4	5
2	1	2
3	1
4	3	5	3
5	5
6	1

Basically I am analyzing a survey where people picked multiple answers to
one question, separated by commas. I separated the values in excel but now
it's multiple columns and therefore multiple variables in stata. I need
these values to be reflected under one main variable...so for instance I
want to see how many people checked off 5, and want all 3 under one variable
and yet still attached to its ID variable - I hope I am being clear and if
you have any advice on  how to combine these variables into one that
reflects all 4 variable values.

Thank you!!
Raquel Teixeira