Re: st: St: Dropping variables with mostly missing values

From   <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: St: Dropping variables with mostly missing values
Date   Fri, 7 Feb 2014 15:25:58 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

you don't say what kind of variables these are but try the following

1. make sure all the variables you want to test in this way are in consecutive order (see -h order-)

2. if all numeric, put into a foreach loop (e.g., -foreach var of varlist a-d { -

3. qui summarize each var using the "mean only" option for speed if you want

4. test the returned value in r(N) to see if it is present often enough to use (clearly make that decision first)

5. either drop the variable or move on (use -drop if ...-)

if some of the variables are categorical but you are sure that none have more than 2000 distinct values, substitute tabulate for summarize above

Rich