[no subject]

If you have variables -birth*- then -reshape wide birth- will
inevitably fail, but why -reshape long- will fail is unclear.

From: Holly E Reed
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 2014 1:27 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: How do I create a calendar year variable by person id before reshaping to person-year dataset?

Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your reply.  That is, in fact, exactly what my data look like; of course, some people do not have births, so they have missing values for birth1, birth2, etc. or if they only have one child, they have missing values for all birth variables except birth1.

The dataset is so large and there are a number of variables in addition to the ones listed, such as weights, region at age 12, urban/rural at age 12, relationship to HH head, ever migrated...that's why I didn't post a sample of the actual dataset.

Thanks,
Holly