Re: st: How do I add an asterix to a bar chart to represent significance?

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: How do I add an asterix to a bar chart to represent significance?
Date   Tue, 4 Feb 2014 11:21:25 +0000

Asterix is a cartoon character. See e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix

Asterisks are punctuation marks.

Assuming interest in the latter: you can add "*", "**", etc. as text
to any -twoway graph- by a call to -scatteri- or an -addtext()-
option.See -help twoway scatteri- or -help added text option-. That
is, you just need to say where you want text and what text you want.

Tastes differ, markedly, but I'd recommend giving P-values,
explicitly, if they are of interest and graphical emphasis on showing
differences or effects quantitatively. Reducing test results to binary
reports (significant or not) is not often the most helpful way to
present an analysis, even with some nuance on *, **, ***. Are we
grading movies, hotels or restaurants here?

In particular, the common practice of showing means by bars and not
much else on a graph, which your question seems to imply, is rather
limited in helpfulness. See e.g. this provocative piece

http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/wiki/Main/DynamitePlots