Re: st: bootstrap with clustered data

Subject   Re: st: bootstrap with clustered data
Date   Thu, 30 Jan 2014 16:40:22 -0600

Stata only needs the -newid- to identify the groups in passing to
-xtreg-, so it does not really matter how it is being numbered. Sure
enough, Stata does it the simplest way possible, and that is
consecutive from 1 to the total number of clusters. Trying to tweak
say the values from the original -idcode- runs the risk of gluing
clusters together, and consecutive numbers is a much safer option.
What matters is that all of the observations within the -newid-
cluster are exactly the same observations as in one, and only one, of
the original -idcode- clusters.

-- Stas Kolenikov, PhD, PStat (ASA, SSC)
-- Principal Survey Scientist, Abt SRBI
-- Opinions stated in this email are mine only, and do not reflect the
position of my employer
-- http://stas.kolenikov.name