st: RE: Robust Hausman test using xtoverid

Subject   st: RE: Robust Hausman test using xtoverid
Date   Wed, 29 Jan 2014 21:31:01 +0000

Ahmed,

Note that if you want to guarantee a nonnegative Hausman statistic, you should use either the sigmamore or sigmaless options, e.g.,

hausman fixed random, sigmamore

> ***For Robust Hausman test, I run:
> xtreg ceb wtr, re cluster(firmid)
> xtoverid  // since since I get Prob>chi2 =0.0000 (i.e.significant p values , <0.05),
> I use the fixed effect model.
>

> Do I apply the xtoverid correctly here?

Yes.

> Do I have to cluster by firm if I use this robust Hausman type test ?

That's up to you!  The test is as robust as you want it to be.

> Can I run
> the xtoverid without clustering as well ?

Yes.  In fact, if it's a balanced panel, the statistic reported by xtoverid and no cluster or robust is numerically identical to the statistic reported by

hausman fixed random, sigmaless

See the xtoverid help file for an example.

HTH,
Mark

> Thanks

-----
Sunday Times Scottish University of the Year 2011-2013
Top in the UK for student experience
Fourth university in the UK and top in Scotland (National Student Survey 2012)

We invite research leaders and ambitious early career researchers to
join us in leading and driving research in key inter-disciplinary themes.
Please see www.hw.ac.uk/researchleaders for further information and how
to apply.

registered under charity number SC000278.