Re: st: Assign fiscal year-end values to a specific event in time

From   miriam geringer <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Assign fiscal year-end values to a specific event in time
Date   Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:36:06 +0100

In terms of my example:

Company   Date      Year     Price      Event    Month*
A                 31Okt    1988                               334
A                 29Nov    1988    10                      335
A                 31Dez    1988                              336
A                 31Jan     1989                              337
A                 14Feb     1989               EventX   338
A                 28Feb     1989                              339
A                 31Mar     1989                              340

*Month = Numerical date variable, monthly frequency. Stata command = mofd(Date)

This is my command: bysort Company (Month): replace Price =
Price[_n-1] if missing(Price)

>>> then 10 is spread forward until the next fiscal year-end value is available
>>> Basically, the price indicates that the fiscal year ends. In our case, on 29Nov 1988, there is a price available. This means the fiscal year ends here. And this price shall now be spread forward until the next fiscal year-end arrives.
>>> What I wonder now: What happens if the next fiscal year-end value (in our example 1989) is now missing?

Example:

Company   Date      Year     Price      Event    Month*
A                 31Okt    1988                               334
A                 29Nov    1988    10                      335
A                 31Dez    1988    10                      336
A                 31Jan     1989    10                      337
A                 14Feb     1989    10        EventX  338
A                 28Feb     1989    10                      339
A                 31Mar     1989    10                      340
A                 30Apr      1989    10
A                 31May     1989    10
A                 30Jun      1989     10
A                 31Jul        1989    10
A                 31Aug      1989     10
A                 30Sep      1989     10
A                 31Okt       1989     .

If the price on 31 Okt 1989 (the fiscal year-end) is missing, Stata
should NOT replace the missing value with the price (10) from the
previous fiscal year 1988. Instead, it should remain missing. But I
think my command doesn't consider this?

Thanks