st: r(3598) error when running -xtabond2-

From   Anirudh Tagat <[email protected]>
To   statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: r(3598) error when running -xtabond2-
Date   Thu, 23 Jan 2014 15:43:18 +0530

Hello

I am using Stata/SE 12.1 on Windows XP:

Stata/SE 12.1 for Windows (32-bit)
Revision 18 Dec 2013
Copyright 1985-2011 StataCorp LP

and attempting to run -xtabond2- (version 3.3.4, 28 November 2013)
from SSC (David Roodman, 2003. "XTABOND2: Stata module to extend
xtabond dynamic panel data estimator," Statistical Software Components
S435901, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 22 Sep 2013.)
using a panel dataset that spans 180 villages over 4 discontinuous
time periods to estimate a relationship between inequality and
economic growth for these villages.

Here is my code, and this is what Stata gives me:

. xtabond2 delta_growth delta_gini L3.gini L3.ln_inc L3.landgini71
dist_market res weather overlap banking_index devindex_k edu71
land_reform ln_vexp, gmm(dist_market overlap banking_index devindex_k
edu71 res edu71 ln_vexp) iv(weather land_reform) twostep robust

Favoring space over speed. To switch, type or click on mata: mata set
matafavor speed, perm.
Warning: Number of instruments may be large relative to number of observations.
Warning: Two-step estimated covariance matrix of moments is singular.
  Using a generalized inverse to calculate optimal weighting matrix
for two-step estimation.
  Difference-in-Sargan/Hansen statistics may be negative.
estimates post: matrix has missing values
                 stata():  3598  Stata returned error
         xtabond2_mata():     -  function returned error
                 <istmt>:     -  function returned error
r(3598);

Following which, I found that it would be useful to see if there was
any trouble with the version of Stata that I was currently using:

. update query
(contacting http://www.stata.com)

Update status
    Last check for updates:  23 Jan 2014
    New update available:    none         (as of 23 Jan 2014)
    Current update level:    18 Dec 2013  (what's new)

I am able to successfully run -xtabond2- using the examples provided
in the help file, so was unsure as to what this might mean. Any help
would be appreciated.

Anirudh
--
Anirudh Tagat

Consultant Research Analyst
The RBI Endowment Unit
Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA)
PO Box 60, Anand
Gujarat - 388 001